I finally got a break in the rain, so was able to install the new clear, smoke colored, opening window in the Casita’s door.
The first step was ridiculously easy… removing the screws that held the old frame in, sliding a spatula underneath the bottom outside flange… and it just fell out. After I had the old window out, I test fitted the new one. Perfect!
This is going to be the easiest mod I’ve ever done! I exulted.
There was one chore to do before I could mount the new window — scraping off the old silicone. I used a good silicone remover which made the job not difficult. Just tedious.
Next was sticking the weather stripping to the new outside flange. It was cut perfectly to size. So I had Ron carry the new window outside for me where I would triumphantly mount it.
But then, Murphy reared his ugly head.
The directions said nothing about drilling screw holes in the frame. So I got a few screws in, but the weather stripping wasn’t compressing and there was a half inch gap between the window and the inner frame. I thought it must be that the weather stripping was too thick, so I removed it and replaced it with butyl tape. But the butyl tape wouldn’t compress and there was still that one half inch gap inside.
Then I realized that the screws weren’t penetrating deeply enough, so I drilled pilot holes for the screws and tried again. Still no compression of the seal–and still that gap. So I figured I needed to drill the pilot holes deeper…. and I drilled a hole all the way through the outside frame.
So I took out all the nice, matching black screws that were provided and hunted through my screw collection until I found some shorter screws that were the same width. Amazingly, the screws bit in, compressed the outside sealant and pulled the inside trim flush against the window.
But there was still some covering my mistakes to do. I had to insert a screw into the outside frame (well sealed) to cover my Murphy drill-through. And I had to paint it and the interior screws black to match the frame like the factory screws.
Anyway, it’s done, and now that the window is in, I am thrilled with it. I can see the view outside my dinette bed while I’m reading, surfing, working crosswords or just enjoying a cup of coffee. And the window opens! Having that extra ventilation is wonderful.
The window has a very good latch. It’s as secure — or maybe more secure than the original window. If someone wants to break in while the window is closed, they are still going to have to break the glass. And I won’t leave it open unless I feel it is safe to do so.
But like all projects, this one means I have a couple of new projects to do
First is new curtains. I don’t want curtains up in the daytime because they would block the view. So I’m planning to mount an attractive curtain rod and make curtains with little rings to go on the rod. They will slide off the rod easily so I can store them during the day. And they will slide open easily if I need to open them to see who is outside the door at night.
That presents another project. The screen door is between me and the window. The only way to open the screen door is to open the outside door. So I plan to attach a small cup hook to a narrow dowel and hang it from the last curtain ring on the right. It can hang down to door handle level where I can reach it to open the curtain without opening the door.
BUT before I can see who is at the door at night, I need to wire my outside porch light so it can be turned on from the inside, too.
But I’m so thrilled with the new window that I’ll get the curtains done before our next camping trip in July. The wiring might have to wait a little longer.
I need some time to recover from the Murphy ambush!